Friday, May 11, 2007

Researching Herbs or Too Much Time On My Hands


I've been researching herbs for my WIP and I've become fascinated with the subject. I've always admired herbalists or just anyone with a knowledge of how to forage through the woods and find things that heal and nourish. I guess I'm a cross between a wannabe Herbalist and wannabe Survivalist.

Anyway, my Heroine makes lace and sells it to a dressmaker in town. She made this tincture and gave it to the woman who was having "women's complaints." I've decided I'm going to make it and try it!
By the way, I'm in NO WAY condoning self medicating or replacing medications prescribed by doctors. Herbs are medicine and one should always be very careful when taking them. There...that was my disclaimer.

I got this tincture recipe from herbalist Rosemary Gladstar:

Gladstar recommends using high-quality dried herbs which you tincture yourself in good brandy or vodka. You can also make this formula from store-bought tinctures. The formula will last you a very long time. Use the tonic consistently over an extended period of time to assure steady, long-lasting results, she adds.

2 parts wild yam
1 part sarsaparilla
1 part black cohosh
2 parts Siberian ginseng
1 part dang qui
3 parts sage
3 parts licorice
3 parts dandelion root

Mix the herbs together. Put 4 tablespoons of the mixture into a wide-mouth jar and cover with 1 pint of good-quality 80 proof brandy or 100 proof vodka. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, place in a dark place and let stand for four to six weeks. Shake daily to mix the herbs with the alcohol. After four to six weeks, strain into a clean bottle through a strainer lined with cheesecloth. The recommended dose is 1/4 teaspoon three times a day for three months or longer. Dilute the tincture in water, juice, or tea before drinking, Gladstar suggests.

To avoid irritability, you should avoid consuming caffeine and other stimulants while using ginseng. Some herbalists say Licorice can raise blood pressure so be careful with that herb if you have high BP or perhaps use a smaller amount in your tincture.

Anyway, I bought the herbs and other supplies and I'll put it all together this weekend. Can't wait to try it in about, oh - six weeks!



No comments: