Friday, May 18, 2007

The Last Sin Eater

I rented The Last Sin Eater and watched it last night.
First, let me post the synopsis here, quoted from Moviefone:

Michael Landon Jr. directs this period drama set in 1850s Appalachia and concerning a young girl who carries a crushing burden. Ten-year-old Cadi Forbes' (Liana Liberato) sister has died as the result of a tragic accident, and now the surviving sibling can't help feeling somewhat responsible for her sister's untimely death. Desperate to shake the guilt she feels and absolve her dearly departed kin from her Earthly sins, Cadi seeks out the assistance of the one person rumored to have the power of achieving both goals -- the mysterious Sin Eater (Peter Wingfield). In the midst of her redemptive quest, however, young Cadi uncovers a malevolent secret that threatens to destroy her family and divide her tightknit community. Only after discovering the truth about Jesus Christ and the human condition does Cadi realize that there is only one man capable of providing absolution of sin, and the word of that man can only be found in the Holy Bible. Henry Thomas and Louise Fletcher star in a feature adaptation of the novel by best-selling Christian author Francine Rivers. ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

It wasn't what I was expecting and since I haven't read the book, I don't know exactly what I was expecting.
The first thing I'll say, is that in some way it reminds me of an M. Night Shyamalan movie. There was something kind of suspenseful, other-worldly and spooky about it.

What I didn't like about it was that there was way too little of Henry Thomas, who I adore. He barely has a couple of scenes in the movie.

I didn't quite understand the Lilybet characher. Was she a ghost, an Angel, an imaginary friend?

And something that really bugs me is the fact that they kept referring to the Native American lodgings as "hogans." Huh? This story takes place in the Appalachians. The Natives in that area, probably Cherokee, didn't live hogans, those are Navajo lodgings in Arizona and New Mexico.


Soren Fulton, who played Fagan, was the real stand out of the movie. What a fantastic young actor and he had the only convincing Welch accent of the entire cast.

Overall, I did enjoy the movie but it was a distant second to my favorite Michael Landon, Jr. movie, Love Comes Softly.

2 comments:

Georgiana Daniels said...

Is this out on video yet? I haven't seen it in the store, although I did read the book. I'll have to check for it because it sounds good.

Ramblin Regina said...

Yes, I rented it at Blockbuster, Georgiana. It was good but really different.